Characters of Hawkmistress!
by Robert Varga
Many characters are involved in Hawkmistress!. But in fact, only a few of
them are precisely described and play a really important role in the novel
(main characters). Other characters are also very important as many
events won't happen without them (important characters). But they are
not as precisely described as the main characters. We don't know many things
about they thoughts and feelings for instance. Finally, a lot of less
important characters (other characters) appear in the novel. This
classification is a bit personal and arbitrary.
- Main characters:
- Romilly MacAran: She is the main character in
this novel, we see everything through her eyes. She escapes from home at the
age of 15, in a disguise of a young boy, when her parents want to marry her to
Dom Garris of Scathfell. She meets the exiled King and joins him as hawkmaster
without knowing who he really is. She has the MacAran Gift in a very great
measure, and this more than once saves her life, but more than once puts her
in peril, too.
- Dom Carlo / King Carolin: The exiled King of the
Hasturs of Hali. He is the rightful King of Hasturs, but his cousin Rakhal and
his councillor Lyondri Hastur has thrown him down from the throne. We see the
events of his retrieving the throne in this novel also, since Romilly has
wandered with him through the Hellers nd thus we get her first hand
information about the King's exile. He travels in incognito through the
Hellers, when Romilly meets him.
- Lord Orain of Castamir: He is King Carolin's
paxman and sworn-brother. He is almost head-blind, and a lover-of-men, due to
a forced polictical marriage. This is the cause of his alienation with his son
as well. He also travels with the King through his exiles.
- Important characters:
- Mikhail MacAran: He is Romilly's father and the
MacAran of Falconsward. He had disowned his eldest son, Ruyven, when he went
to Tramontana Tower to train his laran against the will of his Father. He also
has conflicts with his second son Darren as well, since he expects him to be
able to meet the expectations of being Heir to Falconsward, which Darren is
unable, since not having the MacAran Gift (and any useful laran at all). He
has a degrading opinion of the Towers, and have not trained his laran in one,
even though he has the MacAran Gift in full measure. He wants to remain out of
the high politics, saying: 'What matters, which geat rogue sits upon the
throne of the Hasturs.'
- Ruyven MacAran: He is Romilly's eldest brother,
the eldest son of Dom Mikhail, but has been disowned, after his escape to
Tramontana Tower. We meet him as hawkmaster to the King in the war. He is
sworn brother to Alderic of Castamir, the son of Orain.
- Darren MacAran: He is Romilly's elder brother,
and is head-blind, therefore having conflicts with his Father. He learned in
- Alderic of Castamir: He is the son of Orain of
Castamir, and sworn brother to Ruyven MacAran. He arrives at Falconsward few
weeks before Romilly's escape from home, and they became friends. We see him
again in the last battle against Rakhal. He probably marries Romilly later,
but it is not stated anywhere.
- Caryl Hastur:He is the son of Lyondri Hastur. He
receives education at Nevarsin, where he meets Romilly. He shows the exiled
the secret path out of Nevarsin, when they have to escape. He remains with
them (out of necessity) until they reach Caer Donn. After it he is escorted to
Hali by Romilly, Jandria, and some other Swordswomen. Later he helps Romilly
and Orain to escape from Hali where Orain was held hostage. He knows nothing
of his Father's cruelty until this, and after this he defies him.
- Lady Jandria: Cousin to Orain, but becomes a
Swordswoman. She was the lover of Lyondri Hastur. She is the leader of the
Swordswomen, who escort Caryl to Hali. She was fostered together with Carolin.
She swore not to raise hand directly against Lyondri Hastur.
- Lyondri Hastur: Chief Councillor of Rakhal,
Father of Caryl. He believed in Rakhal's promises, and now he also sees that
he became only a hangman and hard hand of Rakhal. He sent away his son to
Nevarsin to rid him from the cruelty of the war, and seeks to impose a good
view about himself to his son, but he breaks this image with the torturing of
Orain, and because of this Caryl opposes him in the end. He is cousin to
Carolin, and was fostered together with him.
- Rakhal Hastur of Elhalyn: Usurper of the throne
of King Carolin, but shows not up in this novel. He is headblind according to
one of the refugees. He was fostered together with Carolin. He courted Maura,
but was rejected.
- Domna Maura of Elhalyn: Cousin to Rakhal. She was
fostered together with Carolin, then went to Tramontana Tower when Rakhal
claimed the throne. She lived as pledged virgin there until the war. She
sworn not to use laran or arm against blood-kin and so against Rakhal. She
marries Carolin and becomes her queen.
- Ranald Ridenow: Cousin to Domna Maura, joined the
army of Carolin. Later helps in the handling of the sentrybirds.
- Other characters:
- Alaric: He was a landholder until Lyondri has
taken his lands due to his sons hailing King Carolin. His son was taken to
fosterage to 'receive proper education', and later dies in summer fever. When
Alaric's wife hears of this, dies, and Alaric blames this all on Lyondri.
- Domna Luciella: Step-mother to Romilly. She is
the second wife of Dom Mikhail. She has a strict image of what is proper for a
lady, and tries to regulate Romilly to this image. She is Rael's mother.
- Rael MacAran: Youngest son of Dom Mikhail. He
will be Heir to Falconsward.
- Mallina MacAran: Younger sister of Romilly. She
becomes married to Dom Garris after Romilly's escape.
- Domna Calinda: Teacher of the children of Dom
- Dom Garris of Scathfell: First son of the Lord of
Scathfell. We meet him as an old lecher, later asks for Romilly's hand, and
Dom Mikhail agrees to the marriage, this being the primary reason of Romilly's
escape. He lost two wives in childbirth.
- Lord Gareth of Scathfell: He is the Father of Dom
Garris, Dom Edric, Cathal and Cinhil.
- Dom Edric of Scathfell: Second son of Lord Gareth
of Scathfell. He is blind.
- Domna Ruanna: Wife of Dom Edric.
- Cathal of Scathfell: He is third son of Lord
Gareth of Scathfell. Twin-brother to Cinhil. He married Darissa of Storn,
Romilly's childhood friend.
- Cinhil of Scathfell: Fourth son of Lord Gareth of
Scathfell. Twin-brother to Cathal.
- Darissa of Storn: Childhood friend to Romilly.
- Ker: Hawkmaster's apprentice to Davin
- Davin Hawksmaster: Hawkmaster and distant cousin
to Dom Mikhail. He taught Romilly a lot of what she knows.
- Rory: Man in the Kilghard Hills, tries to
forcefully marry Romilly.
- Mhari: Rory's grandmother.
- Clea: Swordswoman, teaches unarmed combat to
Romilly. Dies in battle.
- Betta and Tina: Swordswomen in
the armed camp.
- Lauria, Mhari,
Reba and Shaya: Swordswomen who escorted
Caryl to Hali.
- Lillia, Marga and Merinna: Swordswomen at Caer Donn Hostel.
- Derek: Steward at Falconsward.
- Gwennis: Nurse of the MacAran children.
- Domna Marelie: Leronis from Tramontana. She
brought message from Ruyven that he went to Tramontana an stays there. She
insisted on letting Romilly also receive training of her laran.
source file (Last modification: Wed Apr 21 17:21:45 1999)